Thursday, May 9, 2013

Baby Gender Reveal Time! It's a.....




Hi Everyone! Well, we finally did it. We shared the sex of our little one with our parents once I hit my 6 month mark and then revealed to the rest of our friends and family the next day via my personal Facebook page with some special photos we took specifically for the reveal.

Some of you may remember that I mentioned via Facebook a few weeks ago that I put the brakes on my plans for a fun gender reveal party (which was supposed to take place this coming weekend) even though I had all the details planned out, there was just too much going on and I was feeling too overwhelmed by life to prepare for this party and then clean up afterwards all on my own. I knew I could spend my time, energy and budget in a better way than a party that would last just a couple hours. We still wanted to do something creative and fun to document this time and decided to head to one of our favorite hotels which has a nice architectural backdrop for our photos that would mark the occasion and use the balloon color to announce our news.


Hubby and I are overjoyed to announce that we our expecting a baby GIRL!! We had both been praying for a healthy baby and would have been happy either way but the Lord is giving us both our true heart's desire, a daughter to love. :) Without further ado, here are a few photos from my 24-Week pregnancy belly shoot.

















Over the weekend my in-laws hosted a family reunion get together of sorts to bring all of the extended family together since we hadn't seen each other in a while. We thought it was the perfect time to pull Paul's mom and dad aside privately and give them a special gift to open in another room together so they could learn the baby's gender first and then we let them share the news with everyone else at their party. It was such a fun evening and everyone was so sweet, supportive and excited for us. Since all of my husband's cousins began their families many years ago, we will be the only ones with a baby.





For their gift, I took our favorite sonogram photo of the bunch (our little jellybean with her hands clasped and close to her mouth) and had a duplicate made of the photo then added a cute little pink bow on the head and slipped it into a pretty cream frame for them to keep. It was really easy to do and I plan to make one for each of my parents as well as a keepsake for us which will likely live in the nursery until she arrives!






My Mother-in-law has graciously offered to host my baby shower along with the help of my husband's two Aunts since my closest friends and family live miles away back home in Toronto. They asked for my ideas on a theme and the date, so we've penciled in the date of July.13th and the overall decor will be a color theme of pale pink, white and gold. I'm thinking soft, feminine, elegant and chic. I look forward to seeing what they come up with!


{Fun Facts}

What I craved the most this month:  Everything sweet! Fruit (still eating watermelon almost daily), smoothies, sweet tea, desserts, you name it and my baby wants it! I was already a bit of a sweet tooth beforehand so not too much has changed. What they say about girls craving sweets is true!

Something new I tried this month: My midwife recommended Hypnobirthing and I have read so many great personal experiences about how it can shorten the length of labor and delivery as well as make for such a peaceful birthing experience-some women experienced no pain at all! I have attended my first private class so far and since she is also a Doula, we have chosen her to be present and support me during the birth as well. Has anyone else used the hypnobirthing technique? I figure it's not only good for pregnancy but also beyond, it helps you use the pain in your life and transform it into a powerful tool with the right visualization tools.

Weight gain from 20-24 weeks: A whopping half of a pound although my bi-weekly photos would have you believe otherwise! I've gained 11 lbs total as of my 24-week check up and am feeling really good which is most important to me. 

When I started wearing maternity clothes: While I'm still in 95% regular clothes, I finally grabbed a couple pairs of maternity pants, a few tops and a pair of shorts and they are really comfortable! I'm trying to creatively work my own wardrobe and new pieces that are a size larger or my own size into my existing wardrobe for now so I can wear the items after the birth and beyond without investing a lot of money into a maternity-specific wardrobe. 

New Development this month: Itchy tummy! No matter how much cocoa butter, belly oil or natural lotions I use, my bump is stretching and letting me know about it. If someone has a good home remedy, please let me know!

Did you find out and share the gender of your first baby? If you did, what was the most memorable moment about revealing it to family and friends? Maybe you had a creative way of sharing the news? I'd love to hear about it!


As always, thanks for reading!


XO






*All other images my own, except these: (1), (2)

20 comments :

  1. HI Karla, so so darling! I am so excited for little Missy to arrive; and you look fabulous! I love the sonogram image with the pink bow and she looks like she is praying to come out and see Mommy and daddy!

    Xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Karen! :) I hadn't thought of it like that but what a sweet way of seeing the image. We're certainly looking forward to meeting our little miss soon! XX

      Delete
  2. Congratulations Karla :-)
    You are radiant !
    Love,

    Aude from France

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Aude for your sweet words! :)

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! I was right :-). I haven't done hypnobirthing, but young friend of mine used it with her birth and loved it. Such a cute photo reveal idea, and you look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Leigh you were right and I was thinking of you the other day while I was eating watermelon. Several people have told me the same thing so I guess baby girls crave it. :) Thanks so much and I'm so glad to hear of the success your friend had with the hypnobirthing!

      Delete
  4. oooh almost missed out on this fantastic news! congratulations on your pregnancy, you look fabulous! pink cloud it is ;)

    kind regards,
    lynda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lynda! :) Yes, we are on cloud 9, a pink fluffy cloud enjoying everything pink and girly.

      Delete
  5. Try mixing about 3 parts olive oil to 1 part aloe vera gel, add 4 capsules of Vit. A and 6 or 8 of Vit. E. (You can prick the oil capsules with a pin and just squeeze the oil out). Add some skin-strengthening essential oils, such as lavender or frankincense. Apply to the belly twice a day. I did this with my first and had no stretch marks at all!

    ~Tabitha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Tabitha! My mom had actually mentioned olive oil the other day (She said she used that with me). I also have coconut oil which I know is amazing for the skin. I've been using Jojoba oil, cocoa butter and an organic baby healing cream which contains shea butter and frankincense-I just love the scent!

      I will definitely try your recipe! I thought the olive oil might leave stains on my PJ's which is why I haven't tried it yet but I'll try to let it really absorb first and then wear my least favorite pajamas just in case. ;) I'm definitely all for anything that prevents stretch marks!

      Delete
    2. It does leave stains, unfortunately, but I thought it was worth it to avoid stretch marks! I mostly wore an old shirt of my husband's at night when I would apply it. During the day, I'd apply it less generously and would wear an old camisole under my clothes to absorb any extra.

      ~Tabitha

      Delete
    3. It is worth it for sure! Some of my pretty nightgowns with lace etc., just tend to make me itchy at night so I'm sure hubby wouldn't mind me borrowing his old tees. ;) I'm for all-natural skincare so this is idea. During the day, I have a great lotion that seems to be working. I think I've identified the problem-it's the maternity pants with the stretchy long piece that comes up over your belly under the bra area. I think because that part is made from spandex, it's not breathable and that is causing the issue. Thank you so much again, I really appreciate the recommendation and the follow-up! :)

      Delete
  6. Aw congrats! Glad everything is going well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! A baby girl, how exciting. Can't wait to see her nursery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, we are really excited! I've purchased a few items for the nursery (including the crib) and we're going to use some existing vintage furniture pieces that are already in this room now painted in white with glass knobs but I haven't begun painting yet as this is our guest room/my office and I've been tossing and turning quite a bit and have ended up sleeping in this room. I'm hoping to start painting in the next couple weeks to make some progress! It's always easier designing a space for someone else than for myself, I'm too attached. LOL

      Delete
  8. Congratulations, Karla. There is an old saying that "A girl robs her Mother's beauty, a boy makes her glow" so I am surprised that you are having a girl -- you look so lovely, and healthy. Have you tried Bio-oil for your tummy? It is an all-natural product, which in addition to helping reduce the itchiness, will also help to fade scars, and stretch marks. It is a little pricy, but I have had 1 bottle for several years now, and I have found it to be very true to it's promises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks so much Wendy! You are so kind. :) Actually that saying explains a lot now. For months I've been joking to hubby about when the thick hair and glowing skin that I've heard about would come. While I've generally had healthy skin, ever since becoming pregnant I've had breakouts, drier skin than usual and just overall a more dull complexion. I use a bit of powdered bronzer on the days I don't feel my best and it helps add a bit of color and glow (since I'm trying to stay out of the sun). Overall, I feel really healthy and great so I cannot complain, if that is my only real issue I'm okay with it. ;) Thank you for your suggestion. I haven't tried the Bio oil yet but one of my girlfriends uses it for scars. I'm going to try 3 different things that were recommended, giving each 3 days to see which works best for me and I'll continue from there. So far, no stretch marks and I'm praying that none come but one never knows.

      Delete
  9. Yay for baby girls! We did not do any big reveal with any of the kids, but we did find out the genders ahead of time. However, we were definitely showered with gifts with all of them and people were so generous. If we were ever to have a fourth, I think I might even wait until delivery.
    With the twins, I did wait until they were born to reveal the names though and I really liked keeping that a surprise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that's so sweet that everyone showered you with gifts like that Sarah! :) I always said to hubby, if we had our girl and then a boy after I'd let the third be a surprise because we know we'd have the clothes/items already and I'd be ready for a gender surprise. Like you with your twins though, we've decided not to share her name with anyone until she is born. Since we and everyone else know the sex, we like the idea of keeping it a surprise. We have had her name picked out though since we were first married 6.5 years ago. ;)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by, your comments make my day! I read every single one and will answer any questions you have. I hope you'll visit again soon! :)

Warmly,
Karla

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog Design by Get Polished | Copyright © The Classy Woman ®