Trying new recipes is one of my favorite things to do, especially if it is a dessert! My husband is a coconut lover and I decided to make him a treat that he couldn't resist-Black-bottom Coconut bars. These are a combination of 50% brownie bottom and 50% coconut macaroon top, they are 100% DELICIOUS!
These bars are great for entertaining no matter what the occasion is. Here is the recipe so you can try them too! It is compliments of Martha Stewart.
Prep: 45 minutes
Total: 1 hour 30 minutes
Makes 24 Bars
FOR CHOCOLATE BASE :
· 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus extra for pan
· 1/2 cup sugar
· 1/4 tsp salt
· 1 large egg
· 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
· 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (spooned & leveled)
FOR COCONUT TOPPING :
· 2 large eggs
· 3/4 cup sugar
· 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
· 1 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
· 1 package sweetened shredded coconut (7 ounces), 1/2 cup reserved for sprinkling on top.
1. For chocolate base: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 9-inch square baking pan with aluminum foil, leaving a slight overhang; butter bottom and sides of foil (not overhang).
2. Place butter in a large microwave-safe bowl; melt in microwave. Add sugar and salt; whisk to combine. Whisk in egg, then cocoa and flour until smooth. Spread batter in prepared pan.
3. Bake just until sides begin to pull away from edges of pan, 10 to 15 minutes (do not overbake). Let cool slightly while preparing coconut topping. Keep oven on for topping.
4. For coconut topping: In a medium bowl, whisk eggs with sugar and vanilla. Gently mix in flour and coconut (except 1/2 cup reserved for sprinkling).
5. Drop mounds of mixture over chocolate base; spread and pat in gently and evenly with moistened fingers. Sprinkle with reserved 1/2 cup coconut.
6. Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs attached, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool completely in pan. Lift cake from pan, peel off foil, and cut into 24 bars. Store in an airtight container 3 to 4 days.